Voit nauraa tai itkeä turhautuessasi tai uupuessasi. Minä itse pidän parempana nauraa, sillä siinä on vähemmän siivottavaa jälkeenpäin.
Todellista terroria on herätä eräänä aamuna ja huomata yläasteen luokkakaverisi johtavan maata.
Tiede on toimivaa magiaa.
- All persons, living or dead, are purely coincidental, and should not be construed.
- All this happened, more or less. The war parts, anyway, are pretty much true.
- Any reviewer who expresses rage and loathing for a novel is preposterous. He or she is like a person who has put on full armor and attacked a hot fudge sundae.
- Be careful what you pretend to be because you are what you pretend to be.
- Beware of the man who works hard to learn something, learns it, and finds himself no wiser than before.
- Call me Jonah. My parents did, or nearly did. They called me John.
- He is full of murderous resentment of people who are ignorant without having come by their ignorance the hard way.
- Here we are, trapped in the amber of the moment. There is no why.
- High school is closer to the core of the American experience than anything else I can think of.
- Human beings will be happier - not when they cure cancer or get to Mars or eliminate racial prejudice or flush Lake Erie but when they find ways to inhabit primitive communities again. That's my utopia.
- I really wonder what gives us the right to wreck this poor planet of ours.
- I tell you, we are here on Earth to fart around, and don't let anybody tell you different.
- I want to stand as close to the edge as I can without going over. Out on the edge you see all the kinds of things you can't see from the center.
- If people think nature is their friend, then they sure don't need an enemy.
- If you can do a half-assed job of anything, you're a one-eyed man in a kingdom of the blind.
- It is a very mixed blessing to be brought back from the dead.
- Laughter and tears are both responses to frustration and exhaustion. I myself prefer to laugh, since there is less cleaning up to do afterward.
- Life happens too fast for you ever to think about it. If you could just persuade people of this, but they insist on amassing information.
- Like so many Americans, she was trying to construct a life that made sense from things she found in gift shops.
- Maturity is a bitter disappointment for which no remedy exists, unless laughter could be said to remedy anything.
- Peculiar travel suggestions are dancing lessons from God.
- People don't come to church for preachments, of course, but to daydream about God.
- People have to talk about something just to keep their voice boxes in working order so they'll have good voice boxes in case there's ever anything really meaningful to say.
- Science is magic that works.
- Some jerk infected the Internet with an outright lie. It shows how easy it is to do and how credulous people are.
- Still and all, why bother? Here's my answer. Many people need desperately to receive this message: I feel and think much as you do, care about many of the things you care about, although most people do not care about them. You are not alone.
- The universe is a big place, perhaps the biggest.
- The year was 2081, and everyone was finally equal.
- There is no reason why good cannot triumph as often as evil. The triumph of anything is a matter of organization. If there are such things as angels, I hope they are organised along the lines of the Mafia.
- This is a tale of a meeting of two lonesome, skinny, fairly old white men on a planet which was dying fast.
- To whom it may concern: It is springtime. It is late afternoon.
- True terror is to wake up one morning and discover that your high school class is running the country.
- We are what we pretend to be, so we must be careful what we pretend to be.
- We could have saved the Earth but we were too damned cheap.
- What should young people do with their lives today? Many things, obviously. But the most daring thing is to create stable communities in which the terrible disease of loneliness can be cured.
- Who is more to be pitied, a writer bound and gagged by policemen or one living in perfect freedom who has nothing more to say?